- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 5-6 tbsp. cold water
- egg wash
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups grated buko (young coconut meat)
Cooking Procedures :
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Prepare an 8-inch pie plate.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a sauce pan. Add evaporated milk and buko water. Cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Add vanilla and grated buko meat. Cook for another 5 minutes and then set aside to cool.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Cut in the butter (if using) and shortening until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add a tablespoon of water one at a time. Mix with a fork until the dough is smooth and does not stick to the sides of the bowl.
- Form into two balls, one of which should be bigger than the other.
- Roll out the bigger dough to form a 9-inch circle that is about 1/4-inch thick. Fit this dough into the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Filled up with the buko mixture filling. Set aside.
- Roll out the smaller dough into a circle, big enough to cover the top of the pie. To seal the sides of the pie, pinch the top and bottom crusts together.
- Using a knife or fork, prick holes on the top crust so that steam can escape the pie while baking. Brush the top crust with egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool before slicing.