I got acquainted with moron early in my life because of my auntie, she bought some rolls of moron from Leyte for her “pasalubong”. When I saw the moron rolls I thought it was not delicious but my sister beg me to taste is because its delicious. So when I tasted it all I can say is DELICIOSO . !
Moron is a smoother variety of suman. Chocolate moron is a sweet tasty treat made of glutinous rice or rice flour mix, chocolate, sugar and coconut milk. It is rolled and wrapped in banana leaves then boiled or steamed.
Chocolate moron is usually served during special occasions, fiestas, Christmas and New Year in Tacloban.
Try making chocolate moron at home. You can share it with your friends, family, relatives inside and outside the world . Just follow this simple recipe :
- 1/2 cup malagkit (glutinous) rice
- 1-1/2 cup ordinary rice
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup chocolate or cocoa (any brand)
- banana leaves, wilted over fire
- melted butter
- Soak overnight the malagkit and ordinary rice. Grind the following day.
- Soak both ground rice in coconut milk until soft. Add sugar and the chocolate.
- Cook over low fire, constantly stirring until thick. Set aside and cool.
- Prepare the leaves for wrapping by heating by over low fire. Brush the leaves with butter.
- Put 2 tbsp. of the mixture in every wrap. Tie with string. Repeat until all are wrapped.
- Cook/steam for half an hour in a double boiler container or a steamer.
Just follow this simple steps and you can make a home made Moron Chocolate. I hope you liked it !